Pinboard links for April 15th, syndicated automagically:
- The Good Side of Quantifying Everything – Justin Fox – Harvard Business Review – We're all already supposed to know that taking small steps forward is key to getting things done in life and feeling good about it. What my running experience is teaching me, though, is how important measurement is to that process. When you're making incremental progress, it can be hard to tell if you're actually progressing unless you keep close track of what you're doing. How to do that with, say, work in a modern office environment isn't as easy as buying an attachment for your iPod. But technology is moving in that direction.
- In Asia, Power Gets in the Way – Kate Sweetman – Harvard Business Review – Professor Geert Hofstede calls the phenomenon "power distance." What makes it particularly relevant in Asia? Power distance is the degree to which less powerful members of institutions and organizations accept that power is distributed unequally. In very high power distance cultures, the lower level person will unfailingly defer to the higher level person, and feel relatively ok with that as it is the natural order. The higher level person accepts this truth as well — or metes out consequences for failure to comply. In low power distance cultures, everyone expects to be listened to regardless of rank or background, and they will reject leaders whom they perceive as autocratic or patronizing.
- Managing beyond the organizational hierarchy with communities and social networks at Electronic Arts | opensource.com – Lessons EA’s experience also makes clear the need for management to support mass collaboration—management not in the sense of controlling but in the spirit of working within the community to help members refine their purpose as well as to motivate participation, generate a flow of ideas, and facilitate decisions should the community become deadlocked. Among the key lessons: Support and enable individuals, but don't add to their workload. Empower teams to make recommendations and decisions. Provide an interactive, content-filled platform that will draw people in and keep them interested and engaged Think big: what about communities of customers, partners, IT staff, and the entire business ecosystem? But start small: kick off 4-5 pilots to get started Establish governance and a competency center, but allow communities sufficient autonomy to spawn, scale and thrive The platform and toolset are critical success factors Get help and find leverage to jumpstart the platform. At a very minimum, communities should get people talking and sharing!
- TopCoder and InnoCentive making open innovation work for companies and contributors | opensource.com – The traditional model of innovation begins with an R&D group that gets together in a lab and starts working on ideas. And of course, a lot of innovation has come out of that model. (Likewise, plenty of failure.) But the model is changing. More ideas, more products, and more projects are being developed openly, and different ways of collaborating are emerging. TopCoder and InnoCentive are two companies, both now ten years old, that are making that happen.
- Reimagining capitalism—as principled, patient, and truly social | opensource.com – It’s time to radically revise the deeply-etched beliefs about what business is for, whose interests it serves, and how it creates value. We need a new form of capitalism for the 21st century—one dedicated to the promotion of greater well-being rather than the single-minded pursuit of growth and profits; one that doesn’t sacrifice the future for the near term; one with an appropriate regard for every stakeholder; and one that holds leaders accountable for all of the consequences of their actions. In other words, we need a capitalism that is profoundly principled, fundamentally patient, and socially accountable.
- Inspiring the future of work by unlocking innovation through chaos, creativity, and collaboration | opensource.com – Gangplank has put members on nearly every board and commission in the city and started work directly with economic development to show the power of the manifesto. A list of ideals,values and principles that the creatives of the city put forth to make a difference. collaboration over competition community over agendas participation over observation doing over saying friendship over formality boldness over assurance learning over expertise people over personalities
- http://www.googleartproject.com/ – Das Projekt bietet über 30.000 hochauflösende Bilder. Allein in den Vereinigten Staaten nehmen 29 Partner aus 16 verschiedenen Städten teil. So werden große Kunstwerke für Jedermann im Web zugänglich. Über die Werkzeuge Explore und Discover können internationale Arbeiten nach Epoche, Künstler und Typ gesucht werden. Galerie-Räume können direkt über Street View in Google Maps erkundet werden und über die My-Gallery-Funktion können Lieblingsstücke zu einer individuellen Sammlung zusammengestellt und mit Freunden geteilt werden.
- The Innovation Matrix Explained: Innovation Competence « Innovation Leadership Network – Elements of Innovation Competence As is the case with Innovation Commitment, we don’t have a system yet for quantifying Innovation Competence. While the core metric should be something like how many new ideas you execute and diffuse successfully, here are some questions you can ask to assess where you currently are along this dimension:
How many new ideas do you successfully execute and diffuse?
Are you good at all the components of the idea management process?
Do you practice different forms of innovation?
Do you practice both small and large innovation?
Do you have an innovation portfolio
Does your firm have a culture of systematic experimentation?
Does your firm learn from failure?
- A scenario is a description of a persona using a product to achieve a goal, they describe an instance of use…in context. (Contagious ideas by PSST : spreading 2.0 social innovation. Edited by jérémy dumont, strategic planner in FRANCE) – Why Use Them There are a number of reasons that scenarios are useful for experience design. They can provide a vehicle for communication as well as a mechanism to explore design solutions. They help mediate the thinking and communication required in design. They are concrete yet flexible enough to change and morph in detail as the project progresses. They help us understand the flow of experience and are tools for thinking about design (they help us reflect and reason) They help us present and situate solutions They help identify potential problems They are easily understandable by all stakeholders as they are story-like They can provide rich descriptions of use in context which can spark ideas and help inform design They help determine if the design solution is appropriate They can help us see social factors and help understand a users multi-channel experiences (i.e.z on and off-line_
- Elektroschrott – Umweltproblem oder Goldschatz? | Econitor | Das Magazin zu Energieeffizienz, Energiesparen und Nachhaltigkeit im Haushalt – Während es für Gold, Silber und Kupfer bereits erprobte Recyclingverfahren gibt, werden die für die Hochtechnologie wichtigen Seltenen Erden wie Palladium und Indium bislang nicht nennenswert wiederverwertet. Deren Recycling ist zwar technisch möglich, wurde aber wirtschaftlich zumindest bislang nicht für sinnvoll erachtet. Angesichts steigender Preise für Edelmetalle und Seltene Erden sollte man jedoch annehmen, dass auch die Wiederverwertung der Altgeräte zunehmend interessanter und die Goldmine in der Abstellkammer erschlossen wird.
- IP-Symcon :: Automatisierungssoftware – WebFront Live-Demo im SmartHome Paderborn Probieren Sie das IP-Symcon WebFront live im SmartHome Paderborn aus. Sie können die Beleuchtung steuern, Ihre Aktionen per Kamerabild sehen, Temperaturverläufe begutachten und vieles mehr. IP-Symcon WebFront über www.WebFront.info IP-Symcon iFront für iPhone, iPod touch und iPad im iTunes App Store IP-Symcon Mobile für Android Geräte im Android Market
- 5 Tipps und Infos rund um das neue Google+ Design | myGooglePlus – Hier ein paar solcher Fälle und Tipps bzw. Lösungsansätze dazu. Profilbild und neue Profilbanner Die neue Ansicht der Google+ Profile bringt auch kleine Änderungen des Seitenkopfes, also des Profilbildes und Profilbanners mit sich. Die Größe dieser Elemente wurde geändert, ausserdem kam als Alternative zu den fünfteiligen Profildias ein einteiliges, durchgehendes Profilbanner hinzu
- Top 10 Awesome Things You Can Do With the Underused Gadgets You Already Own – If you're a fan of technology, chances are you've retired a few gadgets over the years and they're sitting in a box in your closet. Today's the day to dig out your leftovers and start thinking about what you can do to let them live and breathe again. Here are ten of our favorite ideas to get you started.